The " Positivity Petrick" team is participating in the 2018 Get Your Rear in Gear 5k Run/Walk on Saturday, November 17 at Baylor College of Medicine, The McNair Campus – a fun event, with a funny name – to raise awareness and increase screening for a not-so-funny disease: colon cancer.
We want to make a difference for the people in the Houston Community touched by Colon Cancer personally or through a loved one. The funds raised will be pooled with other people's efforts and help fund local programs to increase screening and awareness for colon and rectal cancer, as well as programs and services to support those living with the disease.
10 Facts about Colon Cancer:
- Anyone can get colon cancer. It has no boundries.
- 1 in 20 Americans will be diagnosed in their lifetime.
- Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death.
- Colorectal cancer affects men and women equally, and people of all races and nationalities.
- Screening for colon cancer should begin at age 50.
- Screening should begin earlier for many ethnic groups and those with a family history.
- Many of those diagnosed with colon cancer report no signs or symptoms before the diagnosis.
- Those with a parent, sibling, or other relative with colon cancer have an increased risk of developing the disease.
- Incidence of colon cancer is increasing among adults under age 50.
- Younger adults were more likely than older adults to be diagnosed with late-stage cancers.
(Bonus Fact) Screening is easy, there are many affordable options that can be done in the privacy of your own home. Talk to your doctor about the right one for you.
We hope you can come out to Run/Walk this 5K, donate and support a great cause, volunteer to help on run/walk day &/or make a vurtual donation.
If you would like to know more about my personal story and why this organization has become apart of my mission to help fight colon cancer and raise awareness please click on my story at:
Please support our effots to build hope and beat Colon Cancer. Thank you in advance for your help and support. Let's make a difference together.
If you prefer to mail your donation, download the donation form here.
Learn more at coloncancercoalition.org/get-educated.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.